What are the Aesop Prize and the Aesop Accolades?
The Aesop Prize and Accolades recognize exceptional books, for children or young adults, that are based on folklore. The folklore must be accurately presented in the text and illustrations and add to the reader’s understanding of folklore.
To Be Eligible for the 2018 Competition:
- Folklore should be central to the book’s content and, where present, to its illustrations.
- The folklore presented should accurately reflect the culture and worldview of the people whose folklore inspired the book.
- The reader’s understanding of folklore should be enhanced by the book, and the book should be enhanced by the presence of folklore.
- The book must reflect the high artistic standards of the best of children’s literature and have strong appeal to the child reader.
- Books may be fiction or nonfiction, but must be published in the English language. Books in which the text is presented both in English and in another language are also eligible.
- Books must be published between August 15, 2017, and August 15, 2018.
A bibliography of folklore sources MUST be provided in the front matter, back matter, or text itself. Books that do not contain this acknowledgement, or which mention sources only on the dust jacket, will be disqualified.
To Submit Your Title(s) to the Competition:
Send one (1) copy of each book to all members of the 2018 Aesop Prize Committee:
- Suzy Grindrod, 2030 Carey Court, Madison WI 53704
- Lindsey Carmichael, 207 Dundas Street East, Suite 415, Trenton ON K8V 1L8
- Spencer Green, 1520 MacIntosh Way, Hummelstown PA 17036 (Chair)
- Kate Schramm, 2706 South Banta Avenue, Bloomington IN 47403
To be considered, books must be received by August 15, 2018. Bound galleys are acceptable, provided publication date is no later than August 15.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
To acquire seals for winning books, contact Priscilla Ord: email@example.com.